Friday, June 11, 2010

A Year Gone By

Yesterday I substituted at a school where I long termed subbed last year for about two and a half months. I had about half of the students that I had last year, but I knew most of the students in the class. They were so talkative it was crazy! We ended up getting through most of the work but getting them quiet was so hard and frustrating!

First off, I had one student who right away I found out he had not taking his medication that day so he was bouncing off the walls all day and was constantly shouting out. That didn't help the rest of the class, mostly just instigated things.

Secondly, one of my students from last year has not changed one bit! He is still misbehaving constantly, picking on other students, not getting his work done etc. I tried to talk to him about how I was disappointed in him and asked him why he was acting that way but he wouldn't even look me in the eye. I think he gets away with things like that at home so why should school be any different. It makes you wonder how our future generations will turn out...

Anyway, the day was rough and I was glad when it was over!!

However, today was a much better day! I had first grade at a very nice school. They were a bit chatty but other than that we had a great day. I even learned a new art project, I'll post some pictures of it later after I finish one. Also, the classroom is one of the best organized classes that I have ever seen. I have visited some classrooms that are overwhelming with the piles of stuff everywhere but this one was perfect! I am going back on Monday and will post some pictures so you can see how lovely it is! I will also explain how some of her centers and things work.

One of the hard parts about subbing is thinking on your feet. Today I had to come up with a poem off the top of my head! Here it is:
My Dogs
My dogs like to play
They are silly everyday
One is white with black spots
The other is brown with no dots
They run, jump, and bark
All day long and in the dark
I love my dogs, they are my joy
One is a girl, the other a boy!

Also, I had to come up with a P.E. game too. I tried something new where I started with a motion and every student then added a motion of their own. We got through most of the class but then they were getting silly, it might work better with an older class. After that I resorted to playing four corners which is always a favorite for primaries. I need to come up with something good to play for Monday! That is all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment